Frequently Asked Questions About Traffic Violations

If you received a speeding ticket or a citation for some other traffic violation, contact our firm to schedule a consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney for straightforward solutions that will work for you.

Traffic Ticket Defense Lawyer - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Traffic Violations Attorney

A traffic violation charge can have consequences on many aspects of your life. Whether you have been charged with speeding, reckless or careless driving, drag racing, or ticketed for missing stop signs, red lights or for making improper turns, you need a criminal defense lawyer who understands the complexities of applicable Pennsylvania traffic law in order to ensure effective representation. Most traffic violations carry points on your license for every ticket. Each point on your license will increase your insurance rates on average $800 - $1200 per point per year. Many traffic violations also result in mandatory license suspension. Located in Philadelphia, Randolph L. Goldman is well equipped to represent you in any traffic violation case.

A general overview of traffic violation law is provided below. To discuss your specific situation with a qualified traffic ticket defense lawyer, call 215-268-7781 or 866-930-8116 (Toll Free), or contact Randolph L. Goldman online.

You need an attorney to stand up for your rights. Call, or contact Randolph L. Goldman, an experienced traffic violations lawyer, to take advantage of his knowledge and skill as a criminal defense attorney.

Thank you for contacting Randolph L. Goldman, Attorney at Law. Your message has been sent.

Call us now

or use the form below.

Frequently Asked Questions About Traffic Violations

Q: How will a traffic ticket affect my insurance rates?

A: Depending on the type of violation, the number of violations, your state's traffic laws and your insurance company's policies, a traffic violation might result in increased insurance premiums. In general, receiving only one moving violation (such as a speeding ticket or a citation for running a stoplight) in a given time frame (typically three to five years) will not result in an increased insurance premium. However, more than one moving violation or a car accident in which you were at fault in a given time frame may result in an increased insurance premium.

Q: What does it mean that a traffic violation is a strict liability offense?

A: A strict liability offense is an offense for which proof of "criminal intent" is not necessary for conviction. Stated differently, proof that a traffic violation occurred is typically sufficient to convict the violator. Thus, a driver may be fined for turning into the wrong lane even if he or she did so accidentally; parking next to fire hydrant even if he or she did not see the hydrant; or for an expired parking meter even if he or she did not intend let the meter expire.

Q: What is a "moving violation"?

A: A moving violation is an "infraction of a traffic law while the vehicle is in motion." Black's Law Dictionary (8th ed. 2004). Conversely, a nonmoving violation is an infraction of a traffic law while the vehicle is not in motion. In general, the penalties for moving violations are more severe than those for nonmoving violations. Moving violations include offenses such as speeding, drunk driving and failing to yield. Nonmoving violations typically deal with offenses involving parking (parking at an expired meter or in a handicap spot), vehicle maintenance (driving with a broken taillight or a burned-out headlight) or vehicle modifications (nonstandard/under-vehicle lights or window tinting).

Q: Will a traffic violation committed in another state affect my driving record in the state in which I am licensed?

A: In many cases, yes. Most states have signed the Driver License Compact (DLC). The theme of the DLC is One Driver, One License, One Record. Under the DLC, traffic violations issued to driver's licensed in another state are reported to the driver's home state. The home state will then treat the offense as if it had been committed within its borders and apply its laws to the out-of-state offense.

Q: What is a "fix it ticket" or a "correctable violation"?

A: A "fix it ticket" or a "correctable violation" is a type of traffic ticket that might be issued for violations involving vehicle maintenance or vehicle modifications. Vehicle maintenance violations include faulty brakes, cracked windshields, faulty emissions control devices and broken or burned-out lights. Vehicle modification violations include nonstandard/under-vehicle lights, illegal window tinting and ground clearance modifications. A "fix it ticket" fine may be avoided by correcting the violation, obtaining the signature of a law enforcement officer, court officer, DMV employee or other authorized person certifying that the violation is corrected, and paying any administrative fees.

Q: What is a "financial-responsibility act"?

A: A financial-responsibility act, also known as a safety-responsibility act, is a "state statute conditioning license and registration of motor vehicles on proof of insurance or other financial accountability." Black's Law Dictionary (8th ed. 2004). For motor vehicle accidents resulting in property damage or the death of or injury to another person, some states will suspend or revoke an individual's driver's license until she or he provides proof of his or her ability to accept financial responsibility.

Q: What are penalties for driving without valid vehicle registration?

A: To lawfully operate a motor vehicle, the motor vehicle must be registered with the appropriate state agency (typically the state's department of motor vehicles) in the state in which the vehicle is primarily used. Proof of registration in the form of license plate tabs or a registration certificate is also generally required. Penalties vary by state and individual circumstances. For example, in many states, the penalty is determined by how long the registration has been expired.

Q: What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

A: Although many traffic violations are deemed mere infractions, some are misdemeanors, which carry stiffer fines than infractions as well as the possibility of up to one year in jail. The most serious traffic crimes are felonies. Felony traffic violations generally involve repeat offenses or violations that result in injury to persons or property. Felonies have more severe penalties than infractions and misdemeanors, including steep fines and imprisonment for over a year.

Q: What if I lose my license but continue to drive?

A: If a person whose license has been revoked or suspended due to previous traffic violations chooses to drive without a valid license, he or she will probably suffer more serious consequences if pulled over. The more prudent course of action is to rely on friends and family for rides or to use public transportation.

Copyright © 2012 FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main

Office Location:

Randolph L. Goldman
1420 Walnut Street, Suite 1400
Philadelphia PA 19102

Phone: 215-268-7781
Toll Free: 866-930-8116
Fax: 215-731-9912

Map & Directions